Recipe by Rey Vakili
225g unsalted butter (room temp)
1 1/4 cup white sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 punnet strawberry
2 punnet raspberry
1/2- 1 cup of chopped strawberries and raspberries
2 tsp of sugar
A squeeze of lemon
A splash of water
2 cups heavy cream
250 grams mascarpone
1/2 cup of icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
1. Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius. Prepare two 20cm springform cake pans with baking paper and a light spray of cooking spray.
2. Meanwhile, add flour, baking powder, and salt to a bowl and whisk together to combine. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl or a stand mixer, add butter and sugar, then beat until well-combined, smooth, and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well until each is well-incorporated and smooth. Add vanilla and beat again.
4. Add flour mixture to the large bowl and beat until just combined – do not over beat.
5. Divide the batter between both cake pans, then use a spatula to spread the batter into the pan. Place into the oven to bake for about 25 minutes minutes. Allow to cool completely before topping and stacking.
6. In a small pan add half a cup of chopped strawberries and raspberries, 2 teaspoons of white sugar, 3 tablespoons of water and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Cover with lid and allow to gently cook for a few minutes. The berries will start to dissolve. Stir frequently and add more water if necessary
7. After about 5 minutes it will be so soft you can mush it into a jam, or pass through a processor.
8. Set aside and allow to cool.
9. Add whipping cream, icing sugar, and vanilla, to a large bowl, beat with an electric mixer until stiff peaks have formed. Add mascarpone and continue to beat, just until smooth. Be careful not to overbeat.
10. And now LAYER LAYER LAYER. Sponge, cream, drizzle, berries, sponge, cream, berries!
Time to enjoy!